Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Hi Dianne,
I want to share my opinion about the dept issue.
Currently I am living in Hong Kong (since 1999) and I have been based in China for the last 6 month. For what I can see is that most of the lending of companies is related to their setting up of new production plants in China to be ready for the opening of the markets in 2005.
To understand this you must know that many of the factories in the south east asian region (Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines.....)are owned by chinese and only to avoid the quota restrictions put on exports out of China.
Most of these manufacturers are eager to move back these capacities to China, mainly because of the lower costs and availability of labour.
Thus you can see a boom in setting up new production plants all over and especially in southern areas of China!
I spoke to one of our german machine suppliers and he told me that he had sold as many machines in the last year as he normally sells in 10 years to China. In comparission he has no or little business with the other countries mentioned.
So you can imagine the impact 2005 will have on this region.
Understandable that the manufacturers need a lot of money but I truly believe they will not have problems paying it back once the production is starting and they benefit of the quota free exports.
One question mark will remain which is the possible import duties that i.e. the US textile lobby wants to be introduced to protect them.
Lets see where we go from here.
Ganni
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.