Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Drew!

What Fuskie said about diversification and cash reserves is solid....and to that I would add that the biggest mistake I see investors make is jumping into investing without any long-term financial plan...sort of a "ready, fire, aim" approach:

https://boards.fool.com/hi-jah609-it-has-been-my-experience-...

That being said, your specific question boils down to what funds from the list in your post might be good for the long haul in terms of asset allocation balance, risk, etc...here are my thoughts, which are NOT meant as recommendations for you, since no one but you knows your specific financial circumstances, goals and risk tolerances:

Aggressive/hi tech already covered in the Blast Off portfolio, and represents 1/3 of your portfolio and your ETF funds list represents 2/3. I'm not necessarily fond of all your fund choices...but, that being said

Maybe equal amounts in these funds: (5 funds means about 13.5% in each fund....or you can weight otherwise to your personal preferences)

"Market" surrogates: DIA (Dow Jones Industrial surrogate), VOO (S&P 500 surrogate) primarily the largest companies

REITS: VNQ

Dividend Stocks/larger caps: DVY

International exposure: IEMG

Note that these funds may hold some of the same stocks (i.e. dividend stocks in DVY may also be in DIA or VOO, etc.)

As you get older, you may want to consider bond-related choices ( I have a bias against bonds until interest rates normalize, but that is me....most financial advisors recommend bond exposure, so you may want to add one of the bond ETF's to your mix now)

Cheers!
Murph
BL and MFPP Home Fool
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.