No. of Recommendations: 10
Hi Eddie.

"I wanted to learn how to determine if the price I pay when I buy this stock is cheap, reasonably priced, or wildly priced..."

I think you'll get a lot of different answers from different people. I am speaking for myself here, not for Saul or for TMF itself (I am an independent contractor, not an employee).

I like to create a spreadsheet where one tab holds historical stock prices, going back about four years (I use 1,000 days). In another tab, I track various financial metrics that MIGHT drive stock prices. These are things like sales, GAAP earnings, adjusted earnings, operating cash flow, free cash flow, and EBITDA. For each day that I have a closing price, I calculate the ratio that the price implies, based on the sales (earnings, etc) that were publicly known on that day. This results in a data base of historical ratios. Let's say you're looking at a company and you know that the current PE ratio is 25.73x. Is that good or bad? Well, a lot depends on industry and the company's growth rate. But I can look in my spreadsheet and see what the range has been for the past four years. If the range is from 18x-26x, that tells you one thing about the current value of 25.73x. If the range is 24x-37x, that tells a different story. If the range is 23x-29x, you get a third message.

What I'll often do is try to determine which ratio(s) send(s) the strongest statistical signal, and pay the most attention to that/those. I don't want to start a GAAP v. non-GAAP war here... Although I generally favor GAAP, there are some companies I follow where I completely ignore GAAP earnings because the signal that the GAAP-based PE ratio sends approximates the signal of a random number! For a couple of companies I've invested in, the strongest signal was sent by EV/EBITDA, which is a little tough to shoehorn into the spreadsheet, but can be made to work.

The biggest problems with this approach are (1) this is entirely backwards-looking and markets are forwards-looking, and (2) companies can change over time. A new product or an acquisition might render older ratios useless. Another issue that sometimes comes up -- and this would certainly be the case for AYX -- is that recent IPOs don't have four years of trading history.

I'm happy to answer any questions about this approach, but please recognize that we're a little off topic here compared to what Saul prefers... I'm pretty sure that there are services available where one can chart, say, a company's PE ratio rather than its stock price. But so far I've chosen not to pay for anything like that.

I hope this helps!

Fool on!
Thanks and best wishes,
TMFDatabaseBob
See my holdings here: http://my.fool.com/profile/TMFDatabasebob/info.aspx
Peace on Earth

Please note: I am not a member of any newsletter team. My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the TMF advisers. I am not an investment professional, merely an investor.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.