No. of Recommendations: 5
Hi Everyone,

One of the inputs is "Equity Risk Premium" (in the second column on the right, part way down). The default appears to be 3%, which is low, IMHO. I would suggest changing it to 5% in all cases.

If you want a stock that it finds as overvalued, try DAVE. It trades at a little over $18. Valuepro, with the default settings, says its worth $8.30. FWIW, my analysis has the value pegged at over $30, but I used an approach based on my knowledge of the company, not historical financials. (Oh whatismyoption, I'll be in Melbourne next week, keep my beer cold, thanks). <grin>

The calculator is simply taking trailing tweleve months (ttm) results and using analysts projected long term growth rates. So, to the extent ttm results is indicative of the future (probably 25% of time, i'd say) the results you get will be in the ballpark.

If you plan to use this tool, I'd recommend clicking on the name of each of the input parameters. A definition box pops up, describing what exactly the input is and what the default settings are. The links on the right of the page lead to a summary discussion of the methodology employed - something the user should understand.

For, MMM it gives a value of $103 and for JNJ a value of $96 based on default settings. If I adjust the risk premium to 5%, then I get $82 for MMM and $78 for JNJ. Those numbers are in the ballpark.

Be carefull about the growth rate being used. The growth rate needs to be the expected growth rate over the "high growth period" which defaults to 10 years. Ten years is a long time and high growth rates over 20% for that long are very rare. If analysts projected growth rates are unavailable, then it uses past results. So small companies without analysts coverage and stellar historical results will get wopping big values that are likely incorrect. I'm sure this was GOOG's problem (try GOOG with 5% risk premium and 15% growth rate).

It does not account for share dilution. So, companies that "reward" C-level management excessively with stock options will probably be overvalued, everything else being equal.

Also, it is using the Capital Asset Pricing model (CAPM) and beta to determine the company's WACC. Beta sucks. Watch what it is using. Except for the blueest of Blue Chips, I would not use a beta less than 1.

I do believe the calculations behind the scenes are reasonably accurate. So, if the inputs are good, the resulting value it calculates will be reasonable.

Rich
Print the post  

Announcements

BMW METHOD EVENTS

The 2009 BMW Method Conference has been cancelled, due to minimum attendance numbers not being met. We hope to continue the annual BMW Method Conference tradition next fall.

Learn about the first four conferences on the BMW Method Website.

The BMW Method FAQ

BMW Method Website
Annual Conference Videos and Other Resources & Services
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.