Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi fellas

I realise that as an Englishman, and not really a team sport fanatic, my thoughts on this OT cricket thread might be as welcome as a ham sandwich at a Barmitzvah, but......... isn't it time that both sets of opponents realised that this is just a team sport and not a war.

Maybe I've got it wrong and you all have the real perspective on this and just genuinely like to trade insults as a bit of fun in its own right. If this is so then just ignore this post and carry on the interesting discussion. My feeling however, is that none of the posters here reads the others ripostes and gets a genuine smile out of it.

It is often said that team sports are a substitute for war. I have to totally disagree. They should be the absolute opposite of that and if we start to forget that fact, for whatever reason (usually amazing amounts of money these days) then we are ALL poorer for the fact.

Team sport, particularly international teams sports should ALWAYS be first about mutual respect and fair play. This is not war. However much the media might like to play this aspect up, team sport is just a feeble pastiche in this regard.

I am not a pacifist ........... my watchword on this has always been to quote a famous saying "Walk quietly, but carry a big stick". BUT that only applies to a REAL threat and then only when there is no alternative but to use that big stick.

Sport should be just that,...... sport.

If you can't play within the rules and more importantly, within the spirit of the rules then all you gain is a win.........but is it worth it? A win at all costs is the slippery slope to the end of what most people get a great deal of enjoyment out of.

"Play up and play the game", should be the real watchword of our sporting heroes........not "win at any cost and take home an even bigger pay cheque".

Don't let any of these professional "sportsmen" con you into thinking that winning is all that matters in sport today. It is not their sport.....it is ours. If we can't watch the end of every match and first get a great buzz from the effort, skill and spectacle that both sides have produced for our entertainment, then we should count that match as a loser......to both sides.

I don't really expect to find any really die-hard fanatic of sport to see any merit in the sentiments expressed by me. Unfortunately for them, every victory will be like a shot of heroin to an addict, temporary euphoria, followed by a burning desire for another win at all cost......any cost. To the guys on this board I sure that sport is a much better and more enjoyable pastime........even if some of the sportsmen representing them sometimes forget the fact.

Jon

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.