No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi fInvestor,

Actually, I currently live in the same residential complex as where I am about to purchase.
So... safe to assume you rent, then... and assumedly at a rental rate you feel is less than living costs as an owner? Why not (with your landlord's permission) remain responsible for your lease, and sub-lease to another tenant... then buy & occupy the other place as your true residence?

If you did that, you could get a long term rate currently around 3.5% with just 5% down, and no monthly PMI payments. (And although both mortgage interest and PMI are both tax deductible, the risk of that deductibility ever going away is higher against the monthly PMI, and the actual costs of mortgage insurance is lower by financing a single premium design on a 95% loan.)

I haven't signed anything that prevents me from renting the property, of that I'm 100% sure.
If you proceed to the point of signing an actual application (form 1003,) you will. You will certify whether the home used as the collateral for the loan will be your residence or an investment property... and you will sign and certify that you will occupy this as your primary residence within 30 days of closing, at risk of committing federal banking fraud.

So you think in general I would want to put the lowest down payment possible?
Yes

My main question is whether you think its best to have a lower down payment and a neutral cash flow (maybe negative with repair costs) or a higher down payment and a positive cash flow (maybe neutral with repair costs)?
It depends... is your non-real estate current cashflows such that you would need to rely on more cashflow from your rental? If so, then in essence you would need to inject more of your immediate liquid capital into the equity (regardless of actual return or yield) in order to have it generate more cashfow.

The post-tax costs of residential loan leverage is at generational lows, and can be made virtually permanent with long fixed rate terms. The safe rates post-tax of return you'll be able to generate on the same dollars will highly likely be much greater than the costs of those dollars outstanding as loans.

In other words, you can borrow at long term rates below 3%, and earn growth at long term rates above 6-8%

How many dollars do you want compounding toward your ultimate financial emancipation at that spread? Whatever you put towards down payment loses that spread as opportunity cost.

Its your call.

Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner
Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.