Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi,

First time "virgin" poster...Before I post, however, let me state that I'm not an Asian GG'er. I do have an interest in Japan and what's happening there.

WRT Asian cultures and wireless, I thought I would point out that wireless penetration and usage (phone and internet) Japan and in northern European countries is greater than in North America. It is not uncommon for Japanese school children to have their own cell phones; ditto Finns, Swedes, etc in Europe. Also in Japan, due to smaller homes and higher wired ISP connectivity charges (NT&T has a phone monopoly), wireless internet access is the preferred choice over home PCs. BTW, ever heard of DOCOMO? It's a BIG wireless Japanese ISP traded on the Tokyo SE. Japanese are also fond of electronic gadgets, and unlike some cultures, welcome things from outside their culture and uniquely "Japanize" it. Times are also changing, and today's young people in Japan are different than their parents. And finally, if you've ever been to Japan, commuting in the Tokyo-Yokohama or Osaka megalopolises is hell. So, I would assume many Japanese would welcome some commuting relief. Hey, what's to stop the "sarari-man" (salary man) from meeting his co-workers at the local watering hole after a hard day's work at home?

As I see it, IT and instantaneous communication with anyone,anywhere, anyplace will inexorably result in further decentralization, less waste and consumption (good for the planet and environment) and individual freedom as we evolve toward an "electronic cottage" existence.

As for TMF clubs, I enjoy reading the GG and Kua'aina Partners' posts. My friends and I have a private investment club over at Yahoo. I suppose I will infrequently post on the GG if I believe I have anything worthwhile to say.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.