Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi folks,

The problem is there is a mix of financing and operating cash flows. The challenge is to adjust the calculations to include both or neither. Under the basic "how-to" guide there isn't a warning about cash flows going directly to the equity account. This is a problem with residual income models in general which require clean surplus accounting.

Looking at ADSK the cash taxes paid were much less than calculated using the accepted method because we didn't account for the offsetting APIC entry. These are real cash flows (as in they didn't have to pay those taxes and have that cash at there disposal)

As for what to keep and what to pull from the calculations - I will leave that up to the individual. As for ADSK I would remove the financing related deferred tax asset caused by the stock option deductions (as with hindsight its a much closer number to what ADSK actually paid which is what we are trying to get at in the first place - they don't call it cash taxes for nothing :)

Anyway that's what I am seeing.

Matthew

PS extra-curricular reading regarding clean surplus accounting: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=277353
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.