Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Frank,

Connie made some very good points.

My strategy is that I purchase some shares to get some skin in the game. Often I have seen the stock take off, and had I never purchased the partial allocation, I would have never gotten shares. This also limits the risk if the stock should drop. Recently I purchased a partial position in PRXL (slightly above the recommended limit), and have been trying to get the remainder of my shares via puts. The way PRXL is running, it may never happen, but then I have the income from the puts, and I have a partial allocation.

As for writing in the money calls, these are really the same (almost) as writing puts. I would generally write puts about 3 months out to get the remainder of my allocation. This method does not always work because of the individual stock price may make the allocation too large. ORLY may be one such stock depending on the size of your portfolio.

A long time ago I was having problems getting my broker to allow writing puts in my IRA, so I was doing in the money calls. But I prefer to write puts.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.