Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi FridayCat
Congratulations to you too!

Thanks for the useful information.
I dont think we will be in CA forever. Knowing that, I think I will look for 529 plans outside of CA (maybe Utah).

if we were to move to Texas (say), then in that case I would expect not to pay any state tax on capital gains when the money is taken out for tuition or other eligible expenses (since Texas has no state tax).

any other state that has income tax, i would expect to pay the income tax applicable to the state. is that correct ?

Another question

let us say i decide to stay in CA forever and my daughter decides to study in MA (lets say), would CA state charge state tax since the school in MA is outside of CA.

I need to do more research.

but if you can share what you know, that would be very helpful

Print the post  


Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.