No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi FTLaudInvestor,

Any suggestions or comments on how to learn more? I love reading, I'm open to taking classes, or joining investment clubs.

Classes:I've read most of a book called "The Stock Market Course" and found it useful.It also has a work book that can be purchased seperately.As far as classes, there was a class in college called "Investment and Portfolio Management" that demonstrated the securities market line, over priced and under priced stocks...etc. I found it to be the most informative as far as security analysis, but it's a senior course. I think Finance 101 was a pre requisite if memory serves. I think you may find most courses offered may be too basic for you, and if there are some advanced courses, you may have to take prerequisites.

Reading:More on this in a later post ;-)

Investment clubs: Caution, the Beardstown Ladies goofed up their accounting.I first read about them through one of Peter Lynch's books. Then I bought the Beardstown book and joined the NAIC. Later in an accounting class in college, there was a chapter starting off with the Beardstown ladies and how they didn't even beat the benchmark, but sold a book that pretty much said they crushed the benchmark.All because of an accounting error. You'd probably need a lawyer to come up with a charter for your investment club.I attended a regional meeting of the NAIC, but found it wasn't for me (at least at that time). It may be difficult to get members that can assume risk and risk averse members to agree on a stock or investment strategy.

http://www.better-investing.org/Public/default

J.P.Quote # 40 "The stock market-the daytime adventure serial of thel well-to-do- would not be the stock market if it did not have its ups an downs."--Jone Brooks

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.