Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi fvgetcom. Welcome. As you can see it looks like you and me holding down the Retail board for now. Others visit from time to time and others are interested in individual stocks, but here is where I think we can keep an overview and discuss what's happening more broadly.

Retail is intensely competitive and same store sales numbers come out most places monthly. That plus major players issuing earnings reports makes for lots of news to follow and interpret.

If you check my CAPs portfolio, you can see that I have Tractor Supply, Whole Foods, Autozone. And I have played with a few of the dollar stores. On the high end I follow Apple and Coach. But there's lots to choose from. I hear good things about Starbucks, McDonalds, and Paneras. I would not touch Sears.

To me it seems the up scale consumers are doing OK and spending money. The low end consumers are pressured by high gas prices and rising food prices. I see many restaurants trying hard to keep prices down with specials at low price points (probably while raising their margins).

In my neighborhood, many stores are closing their doors. As soon as the lease expires they close. So whole shopping centers are almost empty. I think the economy is recovering slowly, but money is still tight. It will take a while yet.

Investors need to be selective. Tell me about your interests.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.