Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi G.
Would you say that there is an acceptable combination of dividends and capital appreciation potential? If not, then, perhaps a low chance of downside loss even if the dividend is cut?

First, while I've read the REITs board for years, I've never felt compelled to buy a REIT.
My bias is toward tech.
I recently built a cash pile, and a portion (emergency fund, living expenses) I want Return OF Capital. The remainder will likely go back into tech, at some point.

So: short answer- no. The risk to my capital is too much for me. As Denny said "cash is cash".

SPG reneged on a deal with TCO not too long ago. Some chatter suggested SPG wanted better terms. I've not followed it, but it gives me pause.

Malls, especially indoor malls, have been in decline for several years, with stalwart anchor stores succumbing to AMZN, and "trendy" stuff.

AMZN. SPG is going to rent space to THE DEVIL that's crushing the mall's anchor and the little stores in the mall. AMZN is a direct competitor to all the stores. And, AMZN will not attract foot traffic shoppers.

While SPG may have upside potential, the risk to my goal of Return OF Capital, is too much for me. It would stress me.

The dividend. SPG cut it in June.
The risk of another cut is significant, IMO.

I wish you and other SPG investors well. It's just not the right investment for me.

Dreamer, over on WAFTT, has a nice thread with some positive comments on SPG.
https://boards.fool.com/spg-q2-er-the-pulse-of-a-pandemic-34...

😷
ralph
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.