No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Goofy
I'm not proposing that the person save AFTER tax monies... I'm proposing that the govt take the monies that WOULD be paid to SS and income tax for a few years and put those monies into a nontaxable account, such as an IRA or 401k or some such. i.e. the person pays no SS or income tax... that money is put into an account for that person's future needs.

No, it will not save 20,000/year but it WILL save close to 2500/year and in 8 years that will add up to 20,000. This could serve as the nest egg needed for compound growth to mature into a sizeable retirement fund.

SS is reportedly set up for a fall in a few years... we need to be looking at alternatives so that todays young folks have a 'plan b'...

I don't see 'means testing' or any of the other 'fix it when they get old' strategies successfully meeting the retirement needs of the young people who are just starting their work life...:-)


Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.