Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi gym0,
I was pleased to see your post, and I agree--I would love to see more posts about what people are doing in retirement..what makes them want to get up in the morning.

I used to play golf when I was married to my first husband. I wish I would have kept playing golf...but I haven't picked up a club in about a decade. I wonder, have you ever read Gary Player's book, Fit for Golf? I am thinking perhaps you already work out because of your screen name..but Player's book is Golf specific.

For myself, to answer your query, my big thing has been oil painting for the last 3 years. In particular I am doing what is called "plein air"..I paint directly alla prima (alla prima means "all at once" Italian, I think) and I generally paint outdoors. I started off doing very crappy paintings in sugar-y garish colors. I took two workshops with a premier plein air painter and now I use a more natural palette, using more of the actual colors seen in nature. Oil painting is tough, I'll tell you..because it is frustrating. A lot of folks quit oil painting in the first few months, I certainly was close to throwing in the towel but I am really interested in both the failures and the successes, so I keep on. It was hard to put my ego aside in the beginning. I thought I was going to be so great at it! I found out one can paint in their mind's eye a lot easier than for real!

I like what you wrote about Frankie Laine and I also use the computer constantly. Honestly, I should use it less..then I would get more done around our house--but the computer is like a siren.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.