Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi Harold,

1. The interest expense* (1-tax rate) is used to add back the tax shield from debt, not the total taxes paid by the firm. Therefore, since MSFT has no debt, then only net income is used, and taxes are already taken into account in net income. Hopefully that clears that up a little bit.

2. This is the way the author does it, and I am not engineer, but it does indeed work. So, I am going to attach a MSFT Excel file with the CAP spreadsheet so you can see and play around with it.

3. I have seen CAPs done several times, and the analysts always hold them constant, so I do too. I think it is hard to forecast and most people are more comfortable modeling the changes after they occur.

If income rises faster than forecasted, CAP may not necessarily shorten because you forgot about the corresponding change in market capitalization. Maybe the CAP will lengthen, maybe it will shorten. It will depend on how the market assesses performance relative to competitors by awarding different market caps.

So, the spreadsheet is attached. Feel free to ask questions.

Best,

John
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.