Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Hewitt and Paul
Wow. Let me say that again WOW. You guys are the best.

I agree that book value often overstates the underlying value. I generally prefer to use book minus goodwill and intangibles than cash-debt. SanDisk is a great example why as they have Long Term Investments of $1,060,393k, which I do not think is fair to ignore. To complicate things SanDisk may also be a good example why book minus goodwill isn’t so good, as they have “Notes receivable and investments in flash ventures with Toshiba” of $1,108,905k, which are not available for sale and so maybe should be excluded.

Cash + ST + LT - Debt = $7.45 per share
Using all same inputs as Paul listed IV then goes to $27, boohoohoo I liked my figure better.

I don’t wish to talk anyone into an investment, as if I could, but for my own sake I will address your inputs Hewitt’s. That’ll have to wait until Monday, unless I can sneak in some computer time before then.

Once again thanks for the inputs Hewitt and Paul.

Hope you have a great weekend.
Dean
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.