Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Hewitt,

I have to admit that I probably sold UNH too soon a few months ago. I bought in early '04 when it had a P/E around 20. Sold a few months ago (around 51 or so) when the P/E creeped up to 25. I reasoned that when I bought it's PEG was 1 or less, but when I sold, I was holding a stock with a P/E of 25 that was probably only a 20% grower.

Maybe my 20% growth rate estimate was flawed, as I didn't think UNH's 30% growth rate was sustainable for a company of its size. I love buying stocks with a PEG less than 1 but I do get skittish when that P/E creeps up around 25 or 30, since that leaves a lot of room for the stock to fall without any change in earnings. Though it's tough to see UNH continue its perennial climb upward without having a part in it...this stock never seems to go down!

In fairness, the same logic did help me sell Harley Davidson (HDI) around its 52 week high back in the beginning of the year. But I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic.

Thanks,
Brett
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.