Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi. I am self-employed and my wife and I just bought our first house. We moved from our old rented apartment to our new house which is over 50 miles away and I was wondering if I should save any gas recepits for tax purposes. I know that the IRS says you can deduct the expense if you are moving to a new job, but what is the procedure in a case such as this?

Sorry, but for moving expenses to be deductible they have to be related to a change in employment. See IRS Pub 521.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.