Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I checked the bond index prospectus and the language was similar but they removed the 20% cutoff presumably to a much lower and non-material number.

Second looking at some of the funds there is the call risk which gives the funds some negative convexity. This is especially more of an issue when corporate debt and CMO's show up in the index funds.

Also the funds might have be given a single weighted duration but the actual durations of the bonds along the term structure will be affected by twists in the yield curve differently (key rate duration are needed). Also with the call option effect of certain bonds and mortgage backed securities there should be differences between funds. My point is that duration is a linear approximation good for only 50bp of yield change on a parallel shift of the curve.

Anyway these are the sorts of things I want to look at (as well as the aforementioned use of derivatives) at least more my own education on bond portfolio management but I am having a hard time following the discussion as posted. Is there a way to post your data points in a table format? That would help me gain a better understanding of where to poke and prod :)) Not that in the end I will have added value but I will give it a try.

Matthew
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.