Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1

I looked on the Colorado State web site. I am not sure but it looks like that you must file if you had income earned in colorado and you had to file a federal tax form.

In most states, bank interest earned is not sourced from any particular location, but is taxable in the state of residency. The fact that it was a CO bank is irrelevant.

Some states define residency by the number of days spend "in-state", others by maintaining a residence regardless of days actually spent "in-state", others by secondary factors such as maintaining a driver's license and voter registration. Each state also has its own rules as to what factors determine the end of residency.The instructions for the 1998 CO Form 104 do not define residency. Depending on the circumstances under which you moved out of the country, where you moved from, your intentions to return, and, most important, how CO state law defines residency will all affect the correct answer.

Being from the east coast, I can't provide any further insight into CO specifics.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.