Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi
I think that investors loose interest in stocks when they aren't going up; although a deluge of bad press about a particular stock or category of stocks gets our attention too.

What astounds me is the seeming lack of interest/attention by American Investors in the unfolding Economic Crisis in Western Europe - unfolding for at least 2 years - but now at a breath-taking edge of catastrophe.

I have been thinking for some time about the possible consequences of populist uprising, political instability, and the rise of demagogues and militarists in a fraught Europe, a never stable Africa holding vast resources, opportunistic Jihadists, a nuclear enabled Iran, and a rich China with almost unquenchable needs and a Totalitarian Government.

Today I read a recent article in The Economist that raises the same question that I have been trying to understand myself, as I revisit the past of schooling that was inadequate ... 'How did World War I come about?'.

In the face of the Brinksmanship of some of Europe's Leaders, the profound disregard for the imperatives of viable economic systems, I feel an urgency to understand the past. What part chance, what part device ? How fragile the ties ? What unintended ?

Toni
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.