Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi ...

I'm not sure if I entirely understand why you want to write anything but what your job requires. You want to expand your portfolio, experience and possibly get published? That is all? Your mind is never filled with characters and their assorted adventures? You have never had the need to write a story because otherwise your head might explode? You have never read a book and been inspired to write an adventure in the same world? I guess I am at a loss because writing is something that's always been a piece of me and it sounds like your goal is simply to boost your career by adding to your portfolio.

I don't know travel writing, I'm strictly a creative fiction type. I just finished Stephen King's On Writing and it's the best book on fiction writing that I've ever read (not that I've read many). I read it because it's been well recommended by the posters here (hint: scan previous threads for additional information). Simply loved it, though you will not find another Stephen King book on any of my bookshelves. I've come to really like him as a person, as well as an author and found myself agreeing with him a great deal.

I don't like books with writing exercises and really, I've not read many books about writing fiction to begin with. Most of what I've read about it were either "helpful" gifts (helpful being space fillers on my bookshelf) and for having sources for my final paper in college about publishing short stories. The best exercise I have ever heard of goes like this: Every morning, after your morning routine, commit yourself to write for a solid 15 minutes (perhaps start with 5 and work your way upto 15). Your pen/pencil/typing fingers are not allowed to stop. When a thought finishes, start another one, pick even random words out of the sky, just do not stop writing until your time is up. The idea is to get your thoughts to flow, and also to cue your brain to rev your creative juices at the same time every day.

Do you travel a lot? Locally? Around the country? Around the world? There's a new thing in my metropolitan paper these days, the tagline is something about "you haven't lived here, if you haven't..." and it's filled in with the adventure of the week "been to this place, done this activity, etc." If you know your local area pretty well, perhaps, you could write up a couple samples about the local haunts and submit the idea to a small local paper.

liss
respectfully submitted by one who does not write technically
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.