Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi im,

Thanks for sharing.

I agree about Peter Lynch's performance were during good times -- I guess I am (in fact) cherry-picking specifics but it works for me to have this comforting thought. I have not read about his life after Magellan so I can't comment on that. I was under the impression that he left Magellan to spend more time with his family.

On when to sell and hold -- I think that the tough part about the typical investor is that we all have limited funds and therefore are likely to not to make the most optimized decisions along the way. Time horizon and imperfect foresight is also a factor.

e.g. recently, I had sold NVDA before it's 40% run-up and have invested in BRLI instead. In the short term, comparing the performance would conclude that I made the wrong choice and perhaps should have been more patient. However, in the long term, I continue to believe that BRLI has the bigger growth possibilities and NVDA faces a challenging transition -- I may well be dead wrong.

Along the way, I had sold positions in MRH (sold at $12, now $17), PRAA (sold at $45, now $65), MIDD (sold at ~$50+, now $76) -- if I had the wide financial bandwidth, I think would have held on to them. Smaller allocations may help also.

In any case, I accept that I would not be able to optimize performance without hindsight. I do not know what is the best way and less time consuming way to measure my re-allocation performance but so long as I am profitable in my investments, that works for me.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.