Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I've just read your advice to Joe and as I am in a similar situation, I wanted to ask you what you thought of Franklin Templeton Funds? Specifically:

> International: Mutual European Fund (TEMIX) 4 stars 1.04%
>
> Global: Templeton Growth Fund (TEPLX) 3 stars 1.05%
>
> Growth: Franklin Flex Cap Growth Fund (FKCGX) 3 stars 0.93%
>
> Value: Mutual Shares Fund (TESIX) 5 stars 0.76% NO FRONT LOAD, or
> DEFERRED LOAD
>
> Sector: Franklin Gold and Precious Metals Fund (FKRCX) 4 stars 0.92%
>
> Asset Allocation: Franklin Templeton Founding Funds Allocation Fund
> (FFALX) 5 stars 1.20%
>
> Income: Franklin Income Fund (FKINX) 5 stars 0.64%

As I'm 35, I'm looking for something to hold onto for a while, but also can be agressive with that money.

If you want the back story of why I'm focusing only on Franklin Templeton, here it is:

I rolled over my old 401K and thought I needed a financial advisor to do so. When I met with her, I showed her my complete financial status, and she saw that I had a brokerage account that was mostly in cash, and not "working for me." When combining that with my 40IK money, it made me eligible for a reduced rate on investing in a particular fund that she recommended (went from .5% to .4 or something similar). I'm embarrased to say that the woman talks fast and animatedly, and I try to take notes, but often feel I can't keep up, writing and digesting the information. It's probably not the best match.

Compounding the problem, was that the brokerage money rolled over faster than the 401K money. So when I realized, hey, I'm learning about finance via Fool and Scottrade, I want to just put money in Vanguard, it was too late. I can't take the 401K money out, as I got the reduced rate based on it, and therefore have to put the rest of the money into Franklin Funds. I can't pick something outside of it, as the advisor said, "that's how managed works, I don't deal in other funds, I don't get paid for that." That was the first time the words paid/commission/fee came up, all the other times was "it's a .4%" She was "assuming" I would know that was something I would be paying. (yes, either she's a bad advisor, or I'm a bad client)

Last week I met with her, and was prepared to allocate my funds. I had looked up the Franklin funds available to me on Morningstar, and picked ones with the most stars, and low %, and made sure class A was available for all. But when I got to her office, she had a "managed" scenario to show me, complete with pie charts, etc, on how she could reallocate my funds, and how this would enable her to pick funds OUTSIDE of the Franklin portfolio. I knew enough not to agree/sign anything at that point. I now realize it's going to cost me more money, which I don't want to do, so I'm going to just go with the Franklin Portfolio.

Abby

PS. I sure hope you aren't my financial advisor incognito....

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.