Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Jim

Aaaaah, Fishbone, showing your generation :)) So while your skankin to the beat I have two questions?

What is the rational against using the same equation as issuing the cost of new equity when finding the cost of stock options?

Second, what is the formula you use for estimating the cost of restricted stock?

**** Answering my own question (is that legal?) ****

The equation for issuing new equity is KoE/(1-flotation cost). What if we switch out flotation cost and add the actual cost assuming all stock options were excercised. This would lead us to something like the current price minus the strike price netting the savings from taxes all divided by the current price. At this point I have ignored the dilution effect and it should be included - but for now lets keep it simple. Using GRMN's numbers:

(($81.13 - $38.57) * ( 1 - .35))/($81.13) = .341 or 34.1%

So the 34.1% (at least to me) represents a discount to current prices adjusted for the savings in taxes. Now finishing off the equation using the 11.36% cost of equity for GRMN:

.1136 / (1 - .341) = .17238 or 17.238%

Anyway I haven't seen this anywhere which doesn't mean much but wonder what you think? Further this seems like the way to deal with restricted stock grants.

Matthew
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.