Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi John (TMF Fuz):

TMFKGOMalley and I worked on some FAQs for the upcoming RM seminar to help people learn how to post tables:

How do I include a table, or spreadsheet, in a Post and get the columns to line up properly?

Tables are a little more of a challenge. You use embedded commands (similar to bold and italics).

The first step is to copy the information (from a spreadsheet or word processor) and paste it in to a text editor (like Notepad in Windows). In the text editor, line up the columns (using either tabs or spacebar). Sometimes it is difficult to align the table unless you work in a monospace font such as courier, thus adjustments are necessary.

Now copy the information and paste it in to an open message box on the discussion board to which you are posting. Before the table, type <pre> and after the table type </pre>.

Always use Preview Message before you Post a table.

Example:

<pre>Ticker Price # Shares Cost/Share
XYZ $123 67.37 $148
ABC $53 95.4 $105
MNO $33 272.58 $37</pre>

When you Post it appears:

Ticker Price # Shares Cost/Share
XYZ $123 67.37 $148
ABC $53 95.4 $105
MNO $33 272.58 $37

If the whole Post is a table you can select "Table Data (fixed-width font, enter your own line breaks)" at the bottom of the text box (and you don't need <pre>). You can type in a short text message even when the Table box is selected by using the Enter key to force a new line after a short sentence.

In place of <pre> you can also use <tt>.

-------
I bet you are wondering how I got those tags to display, here are some more useful FAQs:

How to trick the boards to display tags:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1400011000537001

How to display special characters:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1400011000539000

Hope this helps.

-xerohype

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.