Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi J.P. -
I know for sure that insulin dependent diabetics (Type 1) cannot donate blood. I am one and have been one for 28 years (since age 12) and was never accepted for donations. I finally got someone to explain to me why a few years ago as I waited for my DH to finish giving his pint.

Insulin dependent diabetics dose their insulin for a certain activity level and calorie consumption. When a pint of blood is removed, no one is certain how much insulin is removed at the same time. The resulting imbalance would be difficult to handle. If you think about it, that makes a lot of sense.

That having been said, I have no idea about Type 2 diabetics. My guess is that they, too, would be dissallowed for a similar reason relating to Type 2 medications. But that is only a guess!

Hope this help shed some light...

Holly
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.