Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi Kit,

I see now that it is hard to decipher what my little table was trying to show. Let me elaborate:

LDR paid $93M for IZI and will receive a tax benefit with a net present value of $18.6M. So, the net purchase price is $74.4M.

If IZI will add $0.16 per share to LDR's earnings, then

$0.16 * 9.4M LDR shares outstanding = $1.5M net income to LDR from IZI.

Then, the transaction P/E = $74.4 / $1.5 = 49.6x

I would think this deal could close this year, yet, or maybe sometime early in Q1. So, the 16 cents should be pretty close to a full years earnings.

Another way to look at it is if we extrapolate the 9 mo sales figure in the release to a full 12 mo. then IZI sales is about $14 million.

Taking my $1.5M in net income and dividing by the $14 million in sales, gives a net margin of 10.7% which seems reasonable. Doesn't it? Or, would you expect it to be higher? What kind of margins would you expect a company like IZI to earn?

If I'm close with all this, LDR paid too much unless IZI can grow very quickly for an extended period.

I admit that there's lots of things I could be missing. There are acquisition expenses that could be depressing the incremental eps figure for 2012 only. Plus all my extrapolating is a source for error too.

Perhaps, LDR is underpromising so they can overdeliver next year?

Rich
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.