Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Hi kreovuk,

Welcome to Pro!

I'll add a few more thoughts to the great responses you've received:

Under the Guidebook tab above (to the right) we suggests that new members sell least favorite existing positions to move into the Pro portfolio -- or a version of the Pro portfolio that suits them.

But overall, I think everyone should build a portfolio they're happy with. Mirror a service as much or as little as you like, depending on your skills and interests. Following Pro 100% is fine. But following half and making half your own is good, too, if you¹re investing logically, of course, and at reasonable allocations. The lessons learned in Pro are hopefully applicable to any portfolio: The quality of companies we seek; the way we use options; the hedging and shorting strategies to lower exposure. This can all apply to the port you choose to build.

You shouldn't sell great stocks you like owning, and would owe taxes on, just to mirror us exactly. Build your Pro portfolio using our approaches, but make it yours if you like! If you manage your exposure with us, and have several Pro holdings, and are good at choosing your other stocks, you should do well. I will say, we don't know which of our stocks will do best, so we run a full portfolio, and like people to follow it all, but diversification with some other good stocks can lead to a similar desired outcome, too.

I hope this helps. And thank you for being a Fool with us!

Best,

Jeff
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.