Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi Linda,

thanx for the advice & encouragment. I am interested in learning more about TA & charting. I was impressed with DBPhoenix in his recent exchanges with Bruce Brown & Erick, so I bookmarked both sites. I also want to read the Trader Vic & Visual Investor books ASAP.

I agree with you that methods that work in a bull market can leave one flailing in a bear market, & that conditions may be negative for a bit longer. My problem was inexperience(as well as methodological inflexibilty). My first stock was SCMR on the IPO day 10-22-99, though I sold it on one of the several down turns, & rebought it more recently.

I thought all stocks were supposed to keep going up on momentum & trade at 500 X earnings. My consolation is that the humbling has caused me to hunker down & just study harder so I can have my portfolio better positioned when the cycle turns & begins anew.

I will try & look at some charts this weekend, & see if I can form some ideas about support & resistance for some of my stocks like ITWO, JNPR, BRCM & SCMR. I really want to learn more about supply & demand of stocks, & how volume can be a signal. Even if I don't become a trader, as you say, it could be of a lot of help in picking better entry points.

And I need help with retreat strategies. I should have known better than to go into battle without an adequate, well thought out exit strategy. I bet Robert E. Lee & McCarthur wouldn't have done that :^). I hope it is OK to ask some questions about charts & interpretation- I am a complete novice. But I will check out DBPhoenix's site & work, & do a little homework first.

Thanx again for the referneces & help. Let me know if you want help with understanding the technology side of things in the future. I would be happy to, to the limited degree that I can, or I can ask someone like Matt on the NPI board who is virtually unstumpable. The fusion of FA & TA is potentially a powerful one if we all put our heads together, & attack these investing problems with our respective strengths, talents & aptitudes in organized concert.

take care Linda, lets talk again-

t2/Bob
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.