Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi, looking for clarification on what to expect.

Peter has explained the process of withdrawing the excess thoroughly. I just want to make sure you're aware of your other option, which is to "recharacterize" the contribution as a nondeductible traditional IRA contribution.

The advantage of doing this is that the earnings aren't taxed until withdrawn in retirement. In addition, there may be opportunities to convert to Roth down the road.

If you want to go that route, just tell your custodian you want to recharacterize to traditional and tell TT that you made a $4,000 traditional IRA contribution. You should wind up with a Form 8606 showing the contribution in Part I. (TT will need to know if you have ever made nondeductible traditional IRA contributions before.)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.