No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Lynn,

By all means, you have time. It is never too late! The first thing you need to do is start getting smart about retirement costs, investments, etc. You need a well planned program of investing to make sure your money is working as hard as possible and you know the type of lifestyle you will eventually retire too. Surprises are hard to overcome at our ages.

I have two suggestions for you. Read Dr. Kay Shirley's book, "The Baby Boomer Financial Wake-up Call". It will get you thinking about how to develop your long term plan. I found the book an easy read with lots of good examples. Maybe some of the other fools hear can recommend some of their favorites too.

The second thing is to read these message boards religiously. I find the regular readers and board hosts really have a lot to offer. There are several good sites that have good boards to read. They are:

this one;

www.Moneycentral.com

www.Investorama.com

In a nutshell, what you will find is you need to invest as much as you can into tax deferred accounts like 401's and IRA's, and start a savings program by cutting back as much as possible on current spending.

As you develop your program to retirement you'll have lots of questions. This is the place to ask them.

TOF

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.