Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Mark,

Welcome to Pro!

I have multiple accounts, IRA's and non-IRA's, but am almost fully invested, a little larger % in cash right now.

To get started I'm thinking I'll build a SS with all the accounts combined to break down each position as a % of the "Total Portfolio", next rank them as suggested to determine what to sell to get inline with Pro.

Combining multiple accounts on one spreadsheet is how I manage my accounts. I think of it as one large account when it comes to allocations. The only things are that some options positions and short shares are not allowed in retirement accounts. I also try to keep foreign stocks that pay dividends in my taxable account so that I can recapture any foreign withholding taxes when I file my U.S. taxes. Right now this only applies to Open Text in Pro.

Ranking the positions is exactly what Pro recommends, http://newsletters.fool.com/1228/guide/getting-started/make-....

After that I guess I'll use new cash and proceeds for selling other positions to keep up as we go along.

Makes sense.

Any advice on how you got started?

Is this approach what you would recommend?

After being burned elsewhere I was very slow at shifting to Pro. It would have been better for my portfolio had I been swifter. That might be due to the timing of the bull market and not germane to your position now.

phooL on!

Lon.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.