No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Marty,

Can anyone offer a clear procedure for going about this task? Essentially what I'm asking is how
does one go about evaluating a company/stock--from the beginning to the final decision to buy or
not to buy (not to get cheesy w/Will)....

A good place to look at selection/evaluation techniques is "Common Stocks, Uncommon Profits"-Fisher.

For me it is a process that leads to a lot of dead ends. First I find, through screening, or reading, or conversation a key company or two that seem possible.
Often they are eliminated at the first look at their latest 10k. If not, I look for their competitors and make rough comparisons. Then the survivors are ranked on a spread sheet and assuming that leaves any companies on the list, I do a discounted cash flow analysis.

Most of the time this ends in no candidate that is better than the ones I currently own. If there is still a survivor, I construct a formal folder of facts and key data from 3 yrs 10k and 10Q's along with my intrinsic value figures. I also like to go thru the MD&A looking for successful fulfillment of goals and estimates. The folder(s) go with my current holdings for qtrly up-dating. Even at this stage it is more likely that I won't buy right away. Typical gestation period runs about 6 months for REALLY good probabilities. Many are abandoned in favor of newly researched possibilities.

It takes quite awhile and is still evolving. It FEELS Foolish, to me.

Take a look at the Fools RM Portfolio. That is a dandy way to get started evaluating businesses.

Bruce
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.