No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi MDIRADS!

I sold Dec 20 2019 $60.00 Puts on 5/23 for $2.15 (think of it as about 2/3 of VLO's annual dividend, tax differences aside). These puts are now about 20% in the green.

One reason I chose such a low out-of-the-money strike price was that the general market was headed down; another was that I already had a decent VLO position at an average cost of about $66.00.

Whenever I sell a cash-secured put (or a covered call), I always make sure that I am OK with either outcome: either I get a stock at the price I want to pay, or I collect a nice option premium and rinse/repeat (if conditions are right).

I am considering additional VLO puts if the stock price drops again. Keep in mind that VLO, by the nature of the sector in which it operates is cyclical, due to crack spreads and the general oil/energy markets. My first VLO position was at $50.17 in 2016....it rose up above $120, then fell back....all the while paying an ever increasing dividend (3-year dividend growth rate is 23+%)

Oh! I should mention that I generally cover option sales at the 85% profit level, depending upon time left until expiration.

Cheers!
Murph
BL and MFPP Home Fool

(long VLO; sold VLO Puts)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.