Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
hi Megan...I'll be taking out the majority, if not all, of my loans through FAFSA. They have several loan options and the Federal Consolidated Loan does not charge an origination fee last I knew (I've checked their website, I'll give them a call after the holiday to verify). On several other types of loans it looks like the origination fee is anywhere from 2-3%. Here are my calculations even if I DID get nailed with the origination fee...hopefully someone will double check me:
I will need $9,000/yr to subsidize the stipend I will get. So $9,000 a year will be used and will not be collecting interest (it will collect some in reality as I won't be using it all at once, but for the sake of simplicity lets say it collects non whatsoever.)
I plan to take an additional $6,000/yr and deposit it in a Money Market Account. Lets say it takes in a 4.5% interest rate each year. The first year I will have made $270. So then add the interest plus another $6,000 for my second year, and I have $12,270 making 4.5% interest. This leaves me with $552.15 interest. Add that and my 3rd year's deposit of $6,000 and the total is now $18,822.15. Interest this year will be $846.99. Grand total going into my last year of school is $25,669.14 earning $1,155.11 in interest.
Now if I were charged 3% interest on a $60,000 loan, that will sap $1,800 from me. However I will have grossed $2,824.25 in interest, still profitting by $1,024.25. If I only took out my $9,000 a year, I would still owe just over a thousand for the origination fee, and that would come nearly all out of my pocket as extra.
Like I'm hoping however, there is a FAFSA loan with no such fee and I believe I qualify. Either way, if I am analyzing this correctly, it is in my best interest to take out the additional $6,000 and money market it until I hit my grace period and can pay back a large chunck with a little extra to boot.
I hope this helps and I also really hope that someone crunches the numbers I supplied and double checks me. I didn't do this as an undergrad, so hopefully I am not missing something crucial :/
Thanks for getting me to look into the origination fee Megan..I otherwise wouldn't have known to!!

Meghan*
Oh, and I am going for my PhD in clinical Psychology and the work I will be looking to do is research & publication. If I can't find placement at a University to do my research after so many years of schooling...I'm going to hurt someone!! ;)
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.