Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
Hi mhatter
From the text of your question it is obvious you are new to the markets. Asking for someone to tell you what stock you should buy will often translate into losses on your part as you have no idea why you bought the shares some stranger advised.

I'm trained to understand portfolio construction (a retired CFP), having done it for many years professionally. I do hold individual stocks but I spend an inordinate amount of time reading transcripts and analyzing financial statements...for EACH stock....and I'll get it wrong about 10% to 30% of the time, depending on market conditions.

There is no way you're going to 'get it right' other than by pure luck. If you're on a fixed household income and this is not savings you can 'play with', then you have no business...in my humble opinion.....making investments in individual stocks based on what some stranger somewhere says.

Here is my suggestion for you....

Read the Book "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" by Burton Malkiel. Published in the mid 1970s, its message is as meaningful today as it was then. Its a quick read and the book on Amazon is cheap

Read William Bernstein's book "The intelligent asset allocater". At the end of that, you'll know how to allocate among asset classes using index ETFs. It is not a difficult read although it will require a bit of work, but will be worth it in the long run.

Best wishes

BruceM
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.