Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Michael,

I was not aware of that trend with U.S. exports which is very interesting indeed. I think a lot of people who complain that the U.S. imports too much from China don't realize that it was U.S. innovations in technology and industry that allowed those countries to get to where they are in the first place. It will be interesting to see what areas of U.S. exports pick up with the lower dollar. Productivity and exports are already at record highs here, and it should definitely continue to get a boost with the lower dollar.

I absolutely agree with you that looking for the suppliers/innovators is the way to go. And in the investing world, those types of companies tend to go unnoticed by Mr. Market creating good investment opportunities. It's why I like a company like Landec who has a quality product that they've been developing for years that may entirely take away the need for ice in food shipments. Businesses want to save money, and in the long run technology innovations and improvement is the best way to increase efficiency and cut costs.

Another business that was along these lines with Navteq; you heard of them? They actually supplied the map data to places like Garmin, Yahoo!, Google, etc., and it was my best investment (I think it's been my best-performing investment to date). Unfortunately, Nokia is in the process of buying them out today. I guess you could say Navteq supplied the data to Garmin whose expert programming transformed the GPS into a great device.

If the U.S. smartened up and lowered the corporate tax rate, I think we'd see a boom in exports pretty quickly. Even with our high tax rate our exports and production are at record highs, I can't help but think if you brought that tax rate down you'd see a burst in productivity and new businesses. But that's getting away from the main topic.

PS: What business is your Dad in?

Not your typical, everyday business: meditation benches. Here's his web site: http://meditationbench.com/

By normal standards it's a pretty small business, but over the past couple months it's been picking up at a very quick rate. And the lower dollar has, most likely, helped with international orders as well. Two weeks ago he got an order from Hong Kong and just recently he shipped one out to Sweden.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what happens with this all and how it boosts the economy. It certainly isn't being mentioned by the media or too many analysts either as a potential boost, so they may be in for a nice surprise. :-)

Best,

David K
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.