Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi Michael,

What part of the USA do you live in?
How much did you end up paying for your car?

I live near Santa Barbara in southern Cal, bought the car at Santa Barbara Toyota. I paid list price for a package 8, the exact number of which has been blocked from my memory access but something north of $24K I think.

I'd love to find out what MPG your getting in the future and how you like it.

I'm averaging about 46 mpg per tank, which is something less than the rating but normal, from what I've read. The type of driving you're doing plays into your mileage considerably. The car will get 50 to 60 mpg once it's warmed up, but that can take 10 minutes or so, depending on the outside temperature. The gas motor seems be used continuously until it gets warmed up, so if you're just doing 5-minute trips you don't see the super high mileage. For example, I have a 5-minute commute to work, which includes going up a large hill. On those trips, I think I'm only getting 25 or so mpg. But then I do a fair amount of freeway driving, getting around 50 mpg, which pulls the average up per tank. Once the engine gets warmed up, you do get extremely good mileage in city driving, but if you live in a small town where all you do are short trips, you won't see 60 mpg much. If you live in a larger town where you do longer trips, or do a lot of driving on crowded freeways, you will see very good mpg.

The car has a mileage gauge where you can see what mileage you've gotten since you last reset it. This is a source of endless fascination for me still (OK, OK, simple minds...), in that you can see the effects that so many little things have on your mileage--i.e. how fast you drive and accelerate, uphill vs. downhill even on the slightest of inclines, having windows rolled down as opposed to rolled up when driving at high speeds, A/C, etc.

I love the car. I bought it for the mpg and lesser polluting, but that's just the beginning. It is a smooth and comfortable car to drive, roomy (I've always driven compacts, this is a mid-size--lots of room for me and my ever-present passenger pooch), handles well, with ample power--I've driven it up some major hills with no issues. The only thing I've found it doesn't do well is it has a low clearance so not good for back country bumpy roads. As a town and highway car, it's excellent.

I highly recommend the GPS option for anyone who does any travelling. I've taken it all over California already, and it has been wonderful to be able to pull up a road map at any scale whereever you are, input addresses to find them, find the nearest Starbucks, etc. I didn't want to pay up for it, and only did so because the dealer wasn't getting in any that didn't have it, but it has already been well worth it.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.