Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Mike,
"I mean no disrespect by this: Keep It Simple. And, yes, it may seem boring at first. But as you investigate a company you know and understand (Home Depot, The GAP, Target, GE, FedEx, United Technologies, InBev...) your learning curve becomes less steep and you can begin delving into companies that are smaller, riskier and perhaps more complicated. "

I agree but:
I need help in terms of actual books people have read, related to industry (oil, gas, retail) - this will save me time and money searching on Amazon.

What has been suggested so far, by various people, is very generic - I DON'T want more suggestions on 'Security Analysis' and 'value investing' per-se (most of Graham's books: Intelligent Investor, et al.)

*********IMPORTANT***********
To give you and example: in shipping related books you read about: bill of lading, baltic dry index, demurrage, contract of carriage, etc.

Instead people here are very helpfully suggesting all the books an 'Intelligent Investor' should have already have glanced at!

Instead please suggest some book in your area of expertise! Target and GAP are big retail chains, what book did you read about their business? Did you read any books on clothing retail and the clothing industry? What machines do they use to spin the clothes - i know they are made in China, so what machines and material do the chinese use?

What type of stitch do the T-shirts they make use??? Cross stitch??

I am looking to team up with people and swapping notes with them on this kind of stuff (cross stitch). I don't want to hear about Benjamin Graham and his books and Warren Buffett and his homlies. Talk to me about bill o' lading - think of me as someone who worked as the CEO of Intel all his life, and now working for a Railway company (BNSF).. what books on the railways should i read? What govt departments should I bribe? How do i buy land to lay out some track from X to Y?
**********END*********
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.