No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi pauleckler,

- Most of the $125K was accumulated before...

- Rents in my area are well above $800 a month for something decent, and utilities are usually separate.

- From where did you get your $250K figure? I can't quite follow your math. (I do understand that 4% drawdown would only provide me with $5K a year from my $125K.)

- Is the 5% average rate of return you mentioned before or after inflation? I assume it's before... Can I safely use an AVERAGE inflation rate of 3.5% going forward? That would put my real return at about 2%. Is that what you meant? If I'm correct (and I bet I'm not) that would mean my money would only double every 30 years or so.

- Is the retirement planning worksheet free and online? I can't find it. Link?

- If I manage to save, for instance, $5000 a year for the next 10 years, would that make a significant enough difference for me in the long run? Again, running numbers for long term planning is not my forte.

Hi TwoCybers,

- I've read your first sentence several times because it makes me feel good. Although, I'm not sure what you mean by it.

You said, "You have done a much better job to planning and executing than the vast majority of people."

I only wish that were true. Previously, I never knew about the existence of private disability insurance and I constantly beat myself up about it. After all, several tens of thousands extra a year to sock away would have vastly saved me. If I had known about it I'm sure I would have gotten it. However, I did not grow up in a finance-oriented family and these types of things were never talked about. I'm college educated but never learned about it there. I was previously self-employed and never heard colleagues talking about it. I never read about it or saw any commercials about it. I thought that by having an IRA and private health insurance that I was duplicating all of the benefits of full-timers. Boy I couldn't have been more wrong. It's not an easy transition to go from growing up in an upper-middle class family and now facing the terror of being poor - and what's worse is that I only have my own ignorance to blame for it. OK, ranting is over.

- My bonds are a CD, not in bond funds. I'm looking forward to CD rates going up eventually. I haven't had the courage to add bond funds even though I think they would have a place in my meager portfolio. I've researched individual bonds and have decided that they are not for me. ...But for now, only CDs to balance the craziness of the stocks.

- Yes, I've been on the Bogleheads board for a few years now, reading and asking questions. I've learned a lot, but unfortunately, I should have learned these things 20 years earlier. Again, I just didn't know.

- That's an interesting stat about the rebalancing. I guess it may mean a little good news for me, as I don't even rebalance once a year.

Hi ResNullius,

- When you said less in stocks, what percentage did you have in mind? No need to go into detail, but I was just curious. I know it's a tough question. I'm not super old yet, but on the other hand I have this unique situation. I've been reading books and struggling with the asset allocation for a few years now. I'm exhausted from the subject.

- I don't have a tax liability, so I don't know if I should be concerned about tax credits. I'm largely not qualified for the social services in my area because of my savings.

Everyone who posted so far is super for doing so. I really appreciate it.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.