Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Hi Phil,

After talking to an IRS representative she helped me clarify my original confusion -- the one you pointed out regarding me thinking that I would have to withdraw both principal and earnings for prior years. From my original post: "I am also planning to remove both principal (=5,000) and earnings in order to correct the excess contribution and avoid paying 6% excise tax in subsequent years. My broker (E-Trade) will not calculate earnings on contributions made during years prior to 2013, so I will have to do it myself -- I did find the IRS Worksheet in Pub 590 to calculate the earnings -- and I will do so."

The representative confirmed that I only need to withdraw the principal of the excess contributions made in 2011 and 2012. The logic being that one should not be charged both a 6% penalty and an income tax penalty on the earnings (+ 10% early withdrawal if under 59 and 1/2) for the same year. Only one or the other. So either:

a) one withdraws principal + earnings before due date + 6 months grace period and pays income tax on earnings (+ 10% early withdrawal tax)
or
b) if the deadline for withdrawal for that year has passed, one will pay 6% excise tax penalty for that year and will only have to withdraw the principal excess later.

So, for my case:

2011: Amended return; form 5329 (2011); $5,000 total excess; $300 - 6% excise tax
2012: Amended return; form 5329 (2012); $10,000 total excess; $600 - 6% excise tax
2013: On-time return; 2013 $5,500 contribution withdrawn before tax filing deadline; $585 earnings on 1040 line 15b; 10% on early withdrawal penalty (=58) form 5329, line 1; $10,000 total excess; $600 - 6% excise tax
Simetimes in 2014: $10,000 excess withdrawn.
2014: On-time return(*); form 5329; $0 total excess; $0 - 6% excise tax

(*) Since I also already contributed $5,500 toward 2014 I will have to determine how much I was eligible to contribute and whether there is excess for 2014 (my projected AGI is going to be lower in 2014 then in 2013)

I hope this summary might help another member who may find herself in the similar predicament.

boris
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.