Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the kind words albeit undeserved.

It is a long term investment for me. The $28 price implied the market saw no competitive
advantage period for UPST going forward or any ability for UPST to generate returns above
their cost of capital. My assessment differs which is why I bought. The fact that the price took off
after that was just luck and says nothing about whether my decision was good or bad.

Much has been made about the recent CFO conversation with the Barclay analyst. From my view it
was mostly more noise. The most fascinating part of the conversation was something no one picked
up on -- he made an interesting observation about the auto refi business vs new auto business. They
chose the refi business to get started because their model gives them an advantage in capturing
existing loans and is most like their personal loan business. But if their new auto loan business
succeeds it will be at the expense of their refi business. The customer will already be getting the
best rate from their new auto program and won't need to refi!

Best to you,
Ears
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.