Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
Hi Ray,

You gave me a good laugh with your imaginative way of framing the problem. Thanks!

Here's my choice: (e) None of the above, something else.

Before I explain my choice, let's look at what the market is saying.

Dr. Market and Mr. Moody

My spiffy revised X2 Mauboussin Reverse DCF Turbo-Charged Model has ingested the latest
quarterly data and run through several scenarios. Here are just a couple: Dr. Market is
saying the current price of $28 implies a zero revenue growth rate for UPST at a discount
rate of 10% and a 10% revenue growth rate for UPST at a discount rate of 20%. Both these
scenarios assume a 15% profit margin, 8% working capital investment rate, 2% fixed capital
investment rate, inflation at 5%, and tax rate increasing from 5% to 21% over five years.

Now we know that on occasion Dr. Market can turn into Mr. Moody. So I guess if we look
at what Dr. Market is telling us, maybe it's just Mr. Moody going maniac.

Answer: None of the above, something else.

I wish UPST would join that select group of companies that avoids giving guidance. It just
confuses things for everyone, including them. A new, growing business needs time to work
things out and react to new situations, espically in bringing new products to market and
dealing with everything going on in the world today. What I'm hearing is a lot of noise.

I've been buying yesterday and today at these prices where Mr. Moody is shouting FIRE!

Best to you,
Ears
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.