Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 12
Hi Rex,

Notice that it's 5:00 AM and that I'm actually out the door as I respond to this...

I'm surprised to read comments like these from a career military guy.

First off, I resent the fact that you infer that I'm a career military guy. I've only got eighteen years in the service and as soon as I can perfect my singing and dancing skills...then I'm outta here!;)

Are you saying that our soldiers are stripped of their individuality and compassion by design, and do you feel that our Armed Forces would be better off if they weren't?

Yes and no...and sorry if I don't expound on this. I am, afterall, short on time here. You might start (in your pursuit to better understand our military) by reading a book by LTC Grossman called "On Killing"...he actually goes into great detail about what it takes to transform a snot-nosed eighteen year old kid into a robotic killing machine whose reactions are based on muscle memory rather than thought and reason.

What made you pursue a career in the military after your dis-illusioning experience with the Army in Vietnam?

There you go with that career word again, huh? <g>...To be honest I was actually talking about Haiti (a subject that I've only scratched the surface on and one that has caused me tremendous grief)...

I would really love to have more time to explain all of this to you but I'm really strapped for time...if you're still interested in my views regarding the military, then I'll be more than happy to continue this through private e-mail once I get back in a couple of weeks.

Until then...peace to all,

Terry

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.