Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Hi Rich-

First of all, let me say that I take your words in the spirit they're intended. I really value the presence you've had on the boards. I do hope you'll give Tim and Nate a due chance. I'm not simply whistling Dixie when I say that my decision to accept this next job would have been different had I not had confidence in the people stepping up for me here.

You know, the First Amendment is an incredible thing: it gives us the right to say most anything you want. We have freedom of speech guaranteed to us, so we don't really think about it very much. The boundaries in what we express are generally based upon other things, including good taste and an unwillingness to offend in certain company.

From the moment we made this decision, you should know that in some ways the First Amendment no longer applied to me. You may think that there is an abruptness to the announcements (and several things did happen at once), but I can assure you that the reason this was so in the main is that organizations like FINRA and the SEC now have interest in ensuring that things I say (or we say) do not cross certain boundaries. Some of these boundaries are quite restrictive, but it is neither my place to question them nor to take them out for a test drive. These boundaries have ultimately put in place to protect you from me. I find this to be an admirable goal.

But these boundaries essentially guaranteed that some of our members would be feel like they weren't getting the full story on what's happening. We've been working behind the scenes for some time -- Tim and Nate Weisshaar are well up to speed on the companies on my side of the ledger, because we've known that the iron curtain would fall on my participation here at a certain point, and that's not a boundary we have any interest in crossing, either.

At any rate, Santa has arrived here, so I'm going to end this here with a sincere thank you to you for so eloquent a note.

Bill Mann
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.