Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Rien,

What do you regard as profits?

The value received above ALL expenses (including costs of effort, time, and expertise, in the following example.)

If I build a nice flower bed in my neighbor's garden and he pays me $1000 for it, what is the profit if I only payed $300 for the flowers?

While you don't explicitly specify, I must restrain the topic to ECONOMIC profits. There may be 'spiritual' or other such benefits in your choice of work... but these are far more subjective.

What is the expense (actual or nominal) of the use of the tools? (You might choose to "donate" the use of the tools, but that doesn't mean there is no cost... merely that you are consuming some portion of your own profit by booking those costs to yourself.)

What is the comparable value of an equivalent gardner's time (which reflects his experience, expertise, etc?) Your time?

Certainly a Corporate Attorney, in this example, foregoing 3 hours of billable work to assuage his wife's demand for a flower garden is not economically profiting at all (though there are certainly many other aspects to consider in this case ;~)

Your profit is something less than $700... but how much less will depend on the value of the other expenditures invested.

Cheers,
Dave
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.