Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 22
Hi Rule Makers,

I would pay for this site. Reading the boards and the many articles have provided me with an excellent free education. It is a convenient site to find many items of interest -- news, SEC filings, company boards and strategies and other interesting useful features. Additionally, I have always been able to ask a question and get a satisfying answer from the TMF staff or fellow Fools on the many boards.

I do not want anyone to tell me what to invest in, but I do like reading everyone's ideas. I have gotten a lot of ideas here, I have avoided many bad investment decisions based on what I have learned here. And I can honestly say, none of my bad investment decisions -- that I did not avoid -- came because of this site. I bought Yahoo at a high price, but my reasons for doing it were sound then and I now see that a pure advertisement-based business model does not presently work, perhaps it will someday or maybe not. But I now have a new set of observations to place in my notebooks which will help me with future investments. The blame for my bad investments fall no where but on my shoulders and I have built some broad shoulders in the last two years carrying those not so good investment decisions. But those were my decisions! And in the past, I have made some great decisions too. Those stocks I have held for over seven years have been exceptional and they have definitely allowed me a different lifestyle. Those great investments, I am not sure were made because of my skills, or the passing of time, however. I am afraid, I must believe time did most of the work for me. The Motley Fool places a lot of emphasis on finding great businesses and holding a long time. I agree with this and know from personal experience that time can make up for a lot of mistakes.

Of course, time alone cannot save us on every occasion, some businesses are just no good. Again, The Motley Fool site has helped me add extra tools for my investment toolkit to help me avoid some of those not so good ones. It is here, I have been shown links to great web sites for furthering my research, such as, www.lightreading.com, www.barra.com, www.fortune.com, www.google.com and a file of other links saved in my AOL's 'My favorites Places'. Also this site has helped me build a deeper insight to different methodologies and metrics which assist me to find other great businesses to hold for long term.

Best of all, I have increased my knowledge of interpreting financial statements. Oh! yeah, even better than that, I have made a lot of friends on the Motley Fool boards who I can exchange ideas with.

Yes, I would pay for this site!

tom
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.