Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi, scrim1

I went for the content. MTV, CNN, HBO, that's why i have cable. that's why my friends have it as well.

Our reasons for my wife an I, was to watch Babylon5 when it made the switch from what was it UPN to cable TNT. We have since debated turning the cable off but the reception throught the outdoor ant., leads us to the receptiion problem. Is it worth the money? MTV is a joke. CNN slightly redeeming, HBO is premium so its not being paid for or being watched. So content here is slim, free air is not much better.
Have been holding off to see when the cable system is rebuild what the cost of a cable modem will be. Late this summer I fear.

i think you can see why buffett prefers McDonalds or Coke over XM radio or Microsoft. Pretty safe to assume people will shave. Or eat hamburgers, ect..

Agree, I like common sense in my investing. Lets see is there a book called Common Cents Investing ™? tm by dg. Think I will start that book right now.

tons of debt and little in earnings...look at the forest not an individual tree.

I for one have been burned in the forest and will not invest in a high debt no earnings companies again no matter how many possible paths through the forest there are. (My current Nextel holdings is a darn good example.)

realplayer
I removed this from my Rule the World and my life the day WGN went off the net because of the Baseball contract with Realplayer. It took quite a bit longer for the NPI RTW list to remove it also. Its a common sense thing. It was nice to hear the game through the internet, but to pay for it when I can hear it on the radio, no thanks. I will put up with the ads on the radio thank you. Heck we were hering th ads on the internet just the same anyway. I think Baseball made a big big mistake going with realplayer. Just my 2¢ again. What happen to the idea of selling software. Most of the hype on the net today over this and that streaming media- M$ players and Real players - and the like is just fluff. All this streaming stuff and can't time shift (save it view it later) is a pain also. It just feels to me everyone has theie hand out for a piece of the pie and no Killer app in sight.

Apple used an inferior operating system
In some circles them are fighting words. In my case I still have my Apple 2+.
Ah, the memories.
They lost in the big scheme of thing by not opening up the art and oper.... old argument but valid. It is still a very nice machine.

Chrysler off in the early 80s

It was the late 70's for I missed buying at $4 a share right before the government bailout. And Japan was cleaning our clock on quality of our cars. Chrysler lead the Quality revolution here base on Demmings work in Japan. I still kick myself on this one.

...from the link...
Lynch explains there are asset plays in metals and oil. In newspapers and TV stations. Even companies with loses. ...Channels like MTV, Nickelodeon, CNN were major killer apps
Don't feel like this applies to the XM radio thing.
But,
Do you have a list going of current asset plays? Might be worth the time screening for a few gems!

Lynch feels that one of the best ways to do research is to get out and think like a consumer.
Agree!

Point still is "not a GG" in SAT Radio.

Nice little side talk. I have enjoyed it.

Dennis
☺☺
Where is my Iridium phone?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.